Before I begin, I must tell you that Udaipur is one of my favourite cities in Rajasthan. If I had to choose between the quintessential wedding favourites Jaipur - Jodhpur – Udaipur, it would win hands down. It combines the small town wonder and quaint charm of Jodhpur with the bustle of Jaipur.
There is something absolutely magical about the Pichola Lake, which makes you want to sit there for hours, rent a boat and read while you float or dance till dawn in the beautiful Jagmandir.
I’ve put together a list of my favourite venues in Udaipur, which might help you pick the perfect one for your wedding.
1. Zenana Mahal: Perfect for a Sangeet or a welcome party. It’s just the right size and what I love is that you can play music here till late. The filigree dome looks spectacular when lit up and the arches on the sides add to the old world charm. Since, this is part of the main City Palace, tourists are allowed here till 5pm and it becomes very tough to set up in peak season. However, HRH, the company that manages the venue is extremely cooperative. Plan a beautiful Sufi night here with white drapes, candelabras and lots of candles. Don’t forget the walk for guests is very long to reach here, so keep some buggies handy.
2. Manek Chowk: If you intend going all out for your Sangeet, have a huge family performance and multiple entertainers at your wedding, this is the perfect venue for you. With the imposing palace facade in the backdrop, this is as “royal” as it gets. Just remember, the area is very large, so you need to add lots of color, for the space to look beautiful. Work with deep colors, velvets and lots of candelabras to create a setting fit for the royals.
3. Jagmandir: Right in the center of the lake, this has to be most spectacular venue in Udaipur. Once it’s lit up at night, it looks like it’s from another world. I’m personally not a fan of the inner courtyard, it is surrounded by arches and not so pretty, but the lawns are stunning. It does, however take a lot to make this place look better and logistics are a nightmare since everything has to be transported by boat. What is amazing though is that it has an existing stage with the palace as the backdrop and you can see all the hotels around the Pichola beautifully lit at night.
4. Hotels: Planning to have a morning wedding in Udaipur, I’m afraid you’ll have to settle for a hotel then, because the palaces look very dull during the day. Luckily you have a variety, from the imposing Udaivilas to the stunning Leela, The Sheraton and the Taj Lake Palace.
5. Promenade, City Palace: The only palace venue I’d advise in the day are the City Palace lawns. With plenty of trees and a spectacular view of the lake, this is perfect for a morning wedding. The lawns are on two levels, with an existing stage that can be used either for a performance or the couple. I recommend a pastel palette with lots of flowers for this venue.
Planning a wedding in Udaipur but are on a tight budget, look at options like the Oberoi lawns, and the Chunda Palace terrace for a stunning backdrop for your big day!